Sunday, March 18, 2012

Zephyr

We had a scary happening yesterday.

I took the dogs on a long, fun river walk. But when we came home Zephyr started barfing up river grass--not uncommon---but suddenly passed out cold while I was watching. He just tipped over and went DOWN. I grabbed him and he pulled back up. He was having trouble getting the grass up and each time he hurled he fainted. He FINALLY got the grass out--a small hay bale, but the third time he was coughing up scraps he went down hard, couldn't get his head up and was scrambling terribly.

We were having so much fun!

I rushed him to the emergency vet across town--5:15 on a Saturday night! Of course! It was the longest rainy freeway drive EVER. He was ok after that. They wanted to run lots of tests--x-rays, blood work, ECG, etc. Then handed me an estimate that rivaled Trooper's teeth extraction.

On a side note: Universe! SERIOUSLY?!

I LOVE my dogs. LOVE THEM, even when they make me crazy, but we just had in a quick row: my little biopsy scare, Trooper's dental surgery, major car repair and now THIS?! COME ON ALREADY!! 

I called my mom, CRIED on the phone then regrouped. I made the decision to take Zephyr home and go to Trooper's vet today, Sunday, no appointment needed. 

It was a loooooooooonnnggg night. I woke to every peep, bump, snort, sneeze from both dogs. We slept with the bathroom light on. I kept sitting up and watching his breathing. He looked really tired, but ok.

So this morning--so, so tired--we went to the vet (also across town). She confirmed Zephyr's got a new heart murmur and wants him back for an ultrasound.  He may also have something called a vagal response triggered by the barfing that caused him to faint and may have something to do with his heart. :(

It was a really, really long 24 hours and we came home and CRASHED on the couch. He's been curled up next to me for hours, another sign he's not feeling so hot, but he is drinking, eating and peeing. All very good signs.

So, off to bed. Will keep you updated. Trooper's doing good. He came with us. I think it helped.

d, xo

No comments:

Post a Comment